Note: We will continue adding information to this site. The Endicott Library contains the archives on the Endicott Groundwater Monitoring Program.
March 23, 2019. Life In The Plume: IBM’s Pollution Haunts a Village. The Post Standard, Syracuse NY.
“…toxic vapors were discovered in 2002… The contamination of Endicott and the cleanup effort by its main polluter, IBM Corp., have established the village as one of the largest known examples of vapor intrusion, a phenomenon in which volatile chemicals creep from far underground into the air of buildings above.”
“The company even built a water treatment plant equipped with $1.3 million air strippers, with two giant silos filled with what look like plastic whiffle balls that expose the water to air so any solvents in it evaporate before it’s treated. The plant was dedicated in 2005 with a ribbon-cutting and a plaque that says, “This water treatment plant was made possible by the generosity of the IBM Corp.”
2012. Forand SP, Lewis-Michl EL, Gomez MI. Adverse Birth Outcomes and Maternal Exposure to Trichloroethylene and Tetrachloroethylene through Soil Vapor Intrusion in New York. Environmental Health Perspectives 120(4):616-621.
2011. IBM Endicott Site, Health Statistics Review. NY Department of Health. Documents relating to the on-going projects in Endicott may be reviewed, as they become available, at the George F. Johnson Memorial Library, Village of Endicott, 1001 Park Street, Endicott, NY 13760.
2008. Clapp RW and Hoffman K. Cancer mortality in IBM Endicott plant workers, 1969–2001: an update on a NY production plant. Environmental Health 7:13.
2006. Health consultation: Endicott area investigation: Health statistics review: Cancer and birth outcome analysis, Endicott area, town of Union, Broome County, New York. By the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. HERO ID 730426. Technical Report.
• When data for the two study areas were combined, testicular cancer among males and kidney cancer among males and females combined were significantly elevated.
• When data were grouped by birth defect type, total cardiac defects and major cardiac defects were significantly higher than expected in both study areas combined. Cardiac defects were also significantly elevated in the Eastern study area.
• The incidence of low birth weight was significantly higher than expected in the Eastern area. In addition, the number of term low birth weight births, a subset of low birth weight births, and the number of small for gestational age births were also significantly higher than expected in the Eastern area. The greatest elevations were observed between 1998 and 2002 for each of these outcomes.
2004. IBM Endicott Site, Health Statistics Review: Cancer and Birth Outcome Analysis, Village of Endicott and Endwell, Town of Union, Broome County, NY. A Study Protocol. By the New York State Department of Health, Center for Environmental Health.
Website of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency:
• Hazardous Waste Cleanup: IBM Corporation in Endicott, New York.
• Documents of IBM Corporation-Endicott Site in Endicott, New York
Looking for more information on the NoBurnbBroome website?
Go to the new Index (at the top of each page)